My Daughter Gave Birth to Quadruplets!

Praise the Lord! Blessed is the man who fears the Lord, who greatly delights in his commandments! His offspring will be mighty in the land; the generation of the upright will be blessed. Psalms 112:1-2







Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Now We Know

After school today, Devon and I headed to grab some Lu Lu's Asian Noodles before tutoring. We were waiting to hear from Sarah with a report from her first doctor check up/sonogram. As I pulled into the parking lot, my cell phone rang. It was Sarah, and she was crying. "Mom, I have FOUR BABIES!" she sobbed. It was one of those weird parent moments when my mind went one way and my heart went another.

"That is great news, Honey!" I said, but tears of panic started rolling down my cheeks. I couldn't even think about the babies yet. I was too worried about MY baby, even if she is grown.

Apparently, the doctor was in a panic himself. Everybody working in the office buzzed around and freaked out when the babies showed up on the monitor. The doctor was not encouraging. He gave Sarah statistics and warnings, including:

1. This is a one in a million event.
2. All four babies have strong heartbeats, so you will probably not lose them, although miscarriages are common with multiples. You just won't carry them long enough.
3. You are too small to successfully carry four babies.
4. You have only a ten percent chance of carrying them until they can survive on their own.
5. There is a high rate of defects and disabilities with multiples.

Bottom Line--He said that Sarah should selectively reduce her pregnancy; in other words, she should abort two of the babies. Dumbfounded, she asked him what he would advise his wife or daughter to do in this situation. He said, "Abort and try to get pregnant again." HIS recommendation is to abort the whole pregnancy.

I tried to encourage her, reminding her of God's love and care and plan, as long as I could without my voice breaking. Then I gave the phone to Devon, who is totally pumped. :)

When we pick ourselves up, we need to get people praying!

Lord, help us! What will we do? Our lives have changed forever, any way you look at it. It is amazing how one phone call can change everything. I feel like we were all lined up like dominoes set in a neat little pattern, and that phone call knocked us all down. We will never be the same.

No comments: