My Daughter Gave Birth to Quadruplets!

Praise the Lord! Blessed is the man who fears the Lord, who greatly delights in his commandments! His offspring will be mighty in the land; the generation of the upright will be blessed. Psalms 112:1-2







Monday, January 31, 2011

Five Months Old/ Chicken for Dinner



The quads are five months old chronologically and three months gestationally. They seem so big to us, but according to the doctors they are really small compared to their singleton counterparts.



Landon is 13 pounds, Jackson is 11 pounds, Isabella is 13 pounds, and Samantha is 10 pounds.



Samantha and her red nose after her bath.



Safe in the arms of one of our favorite policemen.



Jackson taking it easy. For once. We were looking at a preemie outfit that was too big for Jackson when he came home. He has finally outgrown it. He becoming quite an entertainer. He has charisma like Papaw.



Izzy B trying to escape her seat. She's flying!




Izzy B posing for this picture.



Izzy B planning her escape. Don't let the innocent face fool you. We can't take our eyes off her for one minute.



Samantha wearing her oxygen at night only.




Mamaw Betty and Jackson. See how big he is getting?






Isabella sleeping in her swing. So glad she likes it and is still able to use it.



Jackson entertaining me





Grandma Cathy (Tony's mom) with Callie and Landon. Pretty lady!



Landon looks happy.







Our pediatric group is truly "ours." Not only do they take care of Callie and the quads, but they also took care of my kids and---believe it or not--ME! Yes, it was a VERY long time ago. Yes, my doctor is still practicing. They are the best doctors around. So glad we have them.



We got exciting news from the neonatologist. Samantha is off her oxygen around the clock now. It took her about a week to adjust before she started eating well and gaining weight again. Samantha graduated out of the tiny NICU bottles into regular small baby bottles! Her skin has gotten pinker. I took Samantha's tapes off her face for good, I hope. Even though she is off oxygen, she is still on the oximeter. I do a double-take every time I look at her because she looks so different now that she is wireless. When I remember the dark days when we almost lost her, I can hardly believe that I am writing of her excellent progress.


I Peter 2:22-23. I can't have peace in my life until I let go of the difficult days. Part of letting go means that I have to stop trying to figure it all out. I don't want to be the kind of believer who only praises God when I get what I want. It takes true faith to not get what I hope and pray for but still praise God. He has been so good to us.




Somewhere in the midst of it all and with a little help from Devon, Samantha found her laugh!



Sarah and Tom got into a slap-happy food fight over a Diet Coke. Sarah ended up with cereal all over herself. Nobody comes between Tom and his Diet Coke. He who has the most sleep wins.



Cassie and Callie. Best friends/cousins




Tom and I took my VW to get it repaired after Eric's accident. They gave us a rental while they worked. After $3000 worth of deer damage, I have my Beetle back. I love Geico! I learned that it stands for Government Employee Insurance Company. Interesting acrostic.



Tom working hard while holding a sleeping Isabella.



Tom and I watched the kids while Sarah and Tony went out to Outback Steakhouse to use a gift card. Landon, Jackson and Isabella fussed the whole time. Callie helped us entertain them.




Landon and Isabella watching Mommy.



We bathed all the quads and cut their nails. Landon smiled his crooked smile throughout his bath. He likes being pampered.



We decided to take the quads out of their sleeper zip blankets for the first time since we brought them home. Now that they are bigger, they are getting too warm. They kick their feet and try to run.



Sarah is no longer able to provide breast milk for the babies. She is disappointed since the antibodies are so essential to prevent illness. We so thankful that she made it five months with quadruplets and a three year old. That has to be some kind of record!



Daddy and his girls.





Isabella



Sarah, Devon, my sisters and I started Zumba. We are enjoying it very much. After the sedentary summer and fall, we need to move around. Tom and Tony watched the kids. When Tony had to leave for work, Tom and Callie changed a very poopy diaper! Will miracles never cease?



Tom, Callie and I met Eric's girlfriend to give her a care package for Eric. Tom bought candy at Cracker Barrel, including the giant jaw breakers Eric loved when he was little. I didn't have the heart to tell Tom that Eric is all grown up. I hope he still likes jaw breakers, or at least enjoys the memories.



My Jumpers--Tom playing basketball in high school.


Watching Eric's Game--Devon gripping the rails while Eric shoots a three pointer. He made it.

Devon giving Eric a half-time pep talk.


Time Out--Love those Eagle days.




The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.







Eric in the blue uniform




Tom and Eric playing ping pong in Eric's dorm. Just to keep the peace, I am not going to tell you who won. :)



Tom's college ID picture.



My girls/boys. Don't ask.



Two of Eric's biggest fans! Sadly, Tom's driving on the curvy roads spilled their cokes onto the posters which erased all of their hard work.




Tom and Joshua (nephew). Love this picture.




Great picture of Eric and Papaw Bob (Tom's dad)


This warm weather is so nice, but we had so much fun when we were all snowed in. For starters, Tom made me breakfast in bed! It was delicious. I have to say that he makes better scrambled eggs than I do. They are always cooked to perfection--never too dry with just the right amount of cheese.



This is the awesome verse on the back of my dad's headstone. He is buried just down the road from me; somehow, that is a comfort.



Callie and Reaper



Callie wearing Devon's hat




Snow Angel

Devon and I took Callie on a long walk over the train tracks to the graveyard and visited my dad's grave. Our noses were frozen when we returned. Our snow day tradition always includes hot chocolate and homemade chicken noodles. This time Callie helped me make the noodles.




Callie making homemade chicken noodles after playing in the snow.

I can't make noodles without remembering all of the times that I helped my grandmother in her kitchen. The familiar motions of working the dough with flour-covered hands takes me right back to Mamaw's steam-filled kitchen. We would roll out the dough on her enamel table by the window, which was so foggy from the bubbling broth that I could draw pictures on it. Those were such special times, because she would share stories of her answered prayers while we cooked.

My grandma had a great faith. She prayed about everything, big and small. We talked about those prayers and believed God would hear and answer them. She prayed like she breathed. When my grandma decided to serve Christ, she didn't mess around. She had one main goal. She wanted to get as close to God as a person can possibly get in this life.

When times were hard and money was scarce, Mamaw had to be creative to feed her family. She didn't want to complain, but there are only so many ways to prepare beans and cornbread. One day, she was washing the breakfast dishes and talking to God. She said, "Lord, I sure would love some fried chicken for dinner." She could almost taste the meat while she rinsed and dried the dishes. But she didn't have any chickens in the hen house and no one in the area did either. She set out a jar of dinner beans on the table.

Her lazy tom cat interrupted Mamaw's chores with his loud meowing. "What can that old cat possibly want?" she murmured as she dried her hands on her apron and headed for the back door. He had already been fed. He never earned his keep by catching the moles that were burrowing in the back yard. The overweight cat only moved when the sun did.

Mamaw opened the door. There sat Old Tom looking quite pleased with himself. He had left his sunbeam and gone hunting after all. He proudly placed his catch at Mamaw's feet. It was a large hen, suitable for frying.

Mamaw had fried chicken for dinner. She said it was the best chicken she had ever tasted, before or since.


My grandma taught me that God's grace makes it easy to live for Him. He forgives our mistakes and paid for our sin. He gives us the desire and power to do follow His plan, which is exactly what we would want if we could see the future. Her life impacted mine for eternity.

She prayed two special prayers for me from the time of my birth. First, she prayed that I would have such wonderful experiences with God that I would never doubt that He exists and loves me.

Second, she prayed that I would someday write a book. I think this blog should count for that. :)



Thanks for praying!





1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh what a blessing, you should write a book. I get sad when I come to the end of your storie's. may God continue his blessings on you and your family. That includes your fantastic mommy. I love you honey, thanks so much. Judi Burress Case.