My Daughter Gave Birth to Quadruplets!

Praise the Lord! Blessed is the man who fears the Lord, who greatly delights in his commandments! His offspring will be mighty in the land; the generation of the upright will be blessed. Psalms 112:1-2







Saturday, August 7, 2010

The Bottom of the Bag of Tricks/ I Can Only Wonder










Uncle Eric is making sure Callie stays entertained while Mommy is in the hospital. One thing is consistent with carny kids: they have no fear of heavy machinery.

Some of the doctors think Sarah will not make it past 32 weeks, but they are still hopeful. They upped her dosage of Procardia and finally got the contractions stopped. They took her off the magnesium. It took about 6 hours for Sarah to feel human. They will try their best to keep Sarah off the magnesium, but she is to be prepared to go back on. They must be getting to the bottom of their bag-of-stop-labor tricks.

At 32 weeks, Sarah goes off the contraction-stopping medicine Sulindac because it can interfere with the babies' hearts. She has finished the antibiotic IV and switched to a preventive oral dose for the remainder of her pregnancy, thanks to Quad A making a bed out of her bladder. :)

One of the group doctors smiled and said, "I have to admit, Sarah, you are the biggest patient that I have right now." He could only say that to a Super Twin Mom and live to tell about it. Admittedly, Sarah is having trouble turning over in bed. Her belly is in the way of everything! She gets worn out by the evening and declares she is going to crawl after the doctor to beg him to deliver her. By morning, she is her cheerful self again.

The babies got 10's on their bios except for Baby B, who got an 8. We are pleased, because they are sluggish from the magnesium.

Monitoring is getting harder all of the time; quads hate the straps. The sonograms are comical with the major sibling wrestling matches going on in there. Quiet Baby D is even getting in on the act since her brother is invading her penthouse space.

My life remains interesting and exhausting. I have adjusted to having a demanding three-year-old around the clock. We actually have somewhat of a routine. I am learning to appreciate cartoons again. I LOVE the writers who have mercy and sneak in adult humor: Go Phineas and Ferb!

My husband and I are enjoying our time together. I forget how much I miss him during basketball season. Whenever we can, we take Callie to the park for ice cream and sprinkles.

I really should help Devon get her classroom set up and help Debi with her lesson plans. Eric could use some help getting ready for school. I have to clean out my office at church. Meanwhile, my house is a wreck since we run all the time, but what else is new? Then just to spite me, my dog had puppies--eleven to be exact, seven surviving. Yeah, just what we need: more babies!

In spite of all the craziness, I am amazed at God's hand on my life. He is always at work.

Awhile back, Tom and I decided to use our savings to help a family member out of a serious financial crisis. It was the one we were planning to use for college expenses for the kids. That may sound a little extreme, unless you know my husband. He is the most generous person I have ever met. Afterward, I felt God speak to my heart. He assured me, "I will take care of college." It was an interesting message that I tucked away and soon forgot. We started working and saving again. Life was busy.

Meanwhile, my kids got older. Before I knew it, Sarah graduated from high school. We tried to figure out college options for her, but Tom and I were at odds. He was adamant that she stay close to home. I was adamant that she go to Christian college. (Okay, I admit I am one of those fanatics who hates to pay someone to teach my kids wrong ideas.) When we could not agree on any school, we knew God had another option that we couldn't see. So we prayed and kept looking.

One day, my sister-in-law suggested that we consider a local Christian college that her pastor attended. When I walked in, I saw that my high school principal was part of the faculty. I knew that he would only affiliate himself with a school that was biblically sound. Then we found out that a bus driver and assistant coach for the basketball team were needed. Tom could do both. One more position was open: English Composition. In the end, Tom was driving and coaching, I was teaching, and Sarah's tuition was covered.

Devon started college at fourteen. She graduated with two degrees (with honors) in the time she would have earned one. Eric played basketball and started working toward his degree. Everything was going along smoothly.

Quietly, four little lives changed everything. Tom and I have made some drastic decisions to cut back on time commitments in order to help. We have prayed for direction for Eric since school starts soon. It is late to be transferring.

This week, we learned that Eric has been accepted into two Christian schools--one Division II NCAA-- with athletic scholarships to both. It looks like all we have to cover are his books, if that. God took care of it, just like He promised.

Sometimes I wonder why people claim to find the Christian life boring. God has surprises around every corner. I am rarely comfortable, but always amazed at His work in my life. I can't wait to see what's next. I can only wonder.

"Yet I am confident I will see the Lord’s goodness
while I am here in the land of the living.
Wait patiently for the Lord.
Be brave and courageous.
Yes, wait patiently for the Lord."

Psalm 27:13,14


No comments: